Tales of a Nigerian Youth: The Meeting


THE MEETING ( A Tale by Hillary Adedokun)


My name is Dare Ademide, I am the only child of my parents. I read hard to get admitted into one of the most prestigious university in Nigeria because to me, that was my only way out of poverty. My parents are very supportive. Even with the little they have, they always made sure I was not lacking anything. My first semester was excellent; I had good grades and no distractions, except for constant advances from guys which I always turn down politely.

When second semester came, I was left alone by guys because they said I was always frowning, which is not on purpose but it earned me the nickname iron lady. Honestly, I didn’t mind. I had only one friend, Ayomide and she was more than enough company for me. I don’t meddle in frivolities, I was more concerned about becoming successful in life.

During test period, something dramatic started happening. I started getting flowers after every test I wrote with a card that always read:
           

  Hope your test went well? Take care of yourself. We care about you.
F.
You are loved.

I wrote 6 tests and after each one I always met the flower and the card with the same handwriting, same content, and same initials. I was very confused. It was obviously not from a guy. It was from a ‘people’. None of my roommates ever saw the cards being brought in; talk less of the conveyer.

I felt it was a mix up, that the flowers were meant for somebody else and it bothered me until I got the card after the last test I wrote. It cleared my mind about whatever doubt I might have as my name was written clearly on the card. It read:

Congratulations Ademide. You are finally done with your tests. Don’t forget, we care.
F.
What does A. F. mean? It really bothered until one day I received a note; this time, it was delivered to me in person, I wanted to get something just in front of my hostel around 8pm when somebody blocked my way and handed me a note. It was dark already so I couldn’t see the conveyer’s face and the person left immediately. The note read:

You want to meet us? Come to the back of humanities block C. Wear purple. Come alone
F.

I was perplexed. I really wanted to know who these people are but which colour code again and why should I come alone? I told Ayomide about it and after contemplating, we both decided that I shouldn’t go for the meeting. But I was still very curious about who A. F. is or should I say are. I got a call the following day around 6pm with these words

“You are scared, we know. Meet us right now beside the Humanities block B. Wear purple. Come alone.”

And the line went off. It was just exactly 6:05, there was still light outside and Humanities is usually not deserted so I decided to go. I wore a purple gown and left my room.

When I got to Block B, there was no gathering of any sort there. I zeroed my mind that it was a prank all along and just when I thought of going back to my room, I felt someone tap me I turned to look. It was a fair lady wearing a purple gown also. She said “We are waiting for you upstairs” and then she left. Her purple gown showed that she was part of the “people that care about me”.

I followed her upstairs and just in one corner, they were there. I could count roughly 11 girls wearing purple. Their leader had a yellow belt on her waist. When I got closer, she embraced me loving with smiles thanking me for finally showing up. I was confused-

“Who are you guys?” I asked.

“We are the Alpha Females, we recruit new cubs every second semester. I know you are confused. We call our new recruits cubs after your trainings; you become a vixen like us.” The leader answered, still wearing
her smile.

I was confused. “I didn’t show interest in any club.” I said ignorantly.

“You don’t need to show interest. You have been chosen. We picked interest in ladies of honour, beauty and strength and my dear, you meet the entire criterion.” She said. I looked around. Indeed they were all beautiful.  “What is this ‘club’ about?” I asked

“We have existed for years; since 1995.” She started.
I’ve not even been born then.

“We also have the male section; they are called the Alpha males. We date them; infact it is prohibited to date someone out of the Alphas. We always dress corporate every time. Here, we have a name different from what we are called by others in the secular world. We are not violent people at all.

We aim at grooming well cultured ladies of high moral standard. We frown at prostitution and our initiation involves eating 5 leaves from 5 different trees and after initiation, only death can separate us.” she explained with her face more serious than it was when I first arrived.

Then, I knew it was not a club. It was a cult group. I was scared, of course but beyond that, the whole thing seemed like a dream to me. I was invited to be a cultist. Oh Lord how did I get into this mess?  I silently prayed to God to deliver me from this trouble. The leader looked at me and said

“Ademide, we are not violent. It is either you want to think about it or you say you are not interested.”

I went on my knees and begged all of them to let me be; that I am a small girl and I don’t want to be involved in such. Amidst tears and sweat, I was asked to promise not to tell anybody about the encounter. I swore not to.  The leader looked at me and said. “Leave this place and always remember that we are watching you in case you want to start running your big mouth.”

By that time, it was already 7pm. I ran down the stairs, to my hostel as quickly as I could and by the time I got to my room, I was panting loudly. My roommate asked what was wrong but I just forced a smile and told her it was nothing, that I just took a quick run from the hostel gate. That night,

I couldn’t sleep. I paid attention to every sound I heard that night but eventually, sleep stole me away. The next day, I couldn’t even tell Ayomide about my ordeal.

Sometimes, some information can be dangerous to the bearer and I didn’t want to implicate her so I just decided to keep it all to myself. Throughout that week, I didn’t walk late in the night and I avoided bushy paths.

I was always on my own so ‘they’ wouldn’t think I was telling someone else about their cult. That was the last time I met them though. Since that night, our paths never crossed again. Indeed, it is an unforgettable experience. Maybe they are still watching me, who knows?

Purchase Hillary Adedokun's mind-blowing book ‘Ademide' from Okada books.

https://okadabooks.com/search?term=Ad%C3%A9mid%C3%A9

Comments

Popular Posts